Monday, September 27, 2010

Pierogi

Because I am sort of nuts and thought that I needed more to put on my plate (literally), I started doing cooking challenges as a member of an online cooking community. This was one of my first challenges, and while it was very time consuming - the results were amazing. This is comfort food at its finest. One note on the filling - the recipe I used made a lot more filling than I needed - but I just froze the leftovers and used them as mashed potatoes another night.

Homemade Potato-Cheese Pierogi


(The Dough)

8 C All Purpose Flour
4 Eggs
8oz Sour Cream
1/2 tsp Salt
Warm Water

1) In a Large Bowl, Beat together Eggs, Sour Cream, and Salt. Stir in Flour and Warm Water. Add the Water until the dough feels like velvet. Turn Out onto Floured board and Knead until smooth.

2) Roll Out to 1/8 to 1/4 Inch thickness. Cut into circles with a glass or biscuit cutter. Cover with Waxed Paper to prevent drying if not filling immediately.

3) Place 1-2 Tbspn of filling into the center of each circle of dough. Fold over, and seal by pressing edges together with a fork. Repeat until all ingredients are used.

4) Bring a large pot of water to boil. Immerse Pierogi and cook until they float to the surface.

(The Filling)

4 Pounds of Mashed Potatoes
1 Pound of Cheddar Cheese
Salt and Pepper to Taste

1) In a large bowl mix mashed potatoes and shredded cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

The August 2010 Daring Cooks’ Challenge was hosted by LizG of Bits n’ Bites and Anula of Anula’s Kitchen. They chose to challenge Daring Cooks to make pierogi from scratch and an optional challenge to provide one filling that best represents their locale.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
Jen has tried numerous diets, attempting to loose the weight she gained after having her baby (okay, she IS technically a toddler) and has figured out that she just loves food way too much to diet. So I gave up and instead celebrate the thing I love the most - FOOD! Here you will find recipes that I have stubled upon and tried, recipes that have been created in my kitchen and other rants and raves about food in general.