Sunday, January 17, 2010

Beef Stroganoff

January is comfort food month for me. After the holidays where you have to eat and make "pretty" food, the only thing I want to do is eat a bowl of something that will make me all warm inside. Beef Stroganoff is one of my favorite comfort foods - it is simple to make, hits the spot and tastes even better the next day. I stumbled across Donna's Beef Stroganoff recipe on All Recipes and was intrigued by the 4.375 average rating out of almost 800 reviews - can't go wrong there.

Beef Stroganoff III

2 Pounds Beef Chuck Roast
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black ground pepper
4 oz butter
4 green onions, sliced (white part only)
4 Tbspn all purpose flour
1 can condensed beef broth
1 tsp prepared mustard
1 6oz can sliced, drained mushrooms
1/3 C sour cream
1/3 C white wine
salt & pepper to taste

1) Season meat with 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper

2) In a large skillet, melt the butter and brown the beef. Then push the beef to one side of the skillet. Add the onions to the skillet and cook 3-5 minutes. Push the onions to the side of the skillet with the beef.

3) Stir the flour into the juices on the empty side of the skillet. Pour in beef broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and add the mustard. Cover and simmer for 1 minute or until meat is tender

4) Five minutes before serving, stir in mushrooms, sour cream and white wine. Heat briefly and then salt & pepper to taste. Serve over cooked egg noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
Jen has tried numerous diets, attempting to loose the weight she gained after having her baby (okay, she IS technically a toddler) and has figured out that she just loves food way too much to diet. So I gave up and instead celebrate the thing I love the most - FOOD! Here you will find recipes that I have stubled upon and tried, recipes that have been created in my kitchen and other rants and raves about food in general.