Sunday, November 28, 2010

Here Fishy, Fishy

My husband has been fishing a lot, and bringing home his fresh catch of the day. I love not having to go grocery shopping, but I am always looking for new recipes for the fish. I found a great recipe for beer battered fish from Lake Michigan Angler. The recipe is for Lake Perch, which is what I made it with - but my guess is that you could use this recipe with most fish and it would be good. The only change I would make to this recipe, is that I would add more seasoning - more pepper and maybe a little garlic salt - but the consistency of the batter was perfect. It was delicious with a little lemon squeezed over it.





Fish Fry Beer Batter Recipe

Ingredients:
12 Lake Perch fillets (about 1 pound)
2 1/2 cups flour (reserve 1/2 cup of flour for dusting fillets)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 12 ounce can beer warm
canola oil for frying

Directions:

1)
Combine 2 cups of flour, salt, paprika, and pepper in a small bowl, mix well. Add warm beer to the flour mixture and beat with a wire whisk until well combined and foamy. Refrigerate the batter for at least 60 minutes

2)
Remove skin from the Lake Perch fillets and wash with cold water. Dry the fillets with paper towels. Put ½ cup of flour in a plastic bag. Add the perch fillets to the plastic bag and shake to coat the fillets with flour.

3)
In a large frying pan, heat the canola oil, 1/2 inch deep, to about 375 degrees. Remove beer batter from your refrigerator and stir well again with the wire whisk.

4)
Take the floured fillets and dip one by one, into the beer batter to coat, and carefully place the fillet into the hot oil. Fry fillets till golden brown on both sides. Place cooked fillets on paper towels to drain excess oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
Jen has tried numerous diets, attempting to loose the weight she gained after having her baby (okay, she IS technically a toddler) and has figured out that she just loves food way too much to diet. So I gave up and instead celebrate the thing I love the most - FOOD! Here you will find recipes that I have stubled upon and tried, recipes that have been created in my kitchen and other rants and raves about food in general.