Monday, December 14, 2009

Eggnog




The holidays don't start for me until I have polished off my first glass of egg nog while admiring the shining lights of my Christmas tree. When I decided to have a holiday party, I decided that an extra special touch would be to serve homemade eggnog. I scoured my various recipe websites for a winning recipe and I found Amazingly Good Eggnog by Nataliesmom on AllRecipes. This recipe as an astounding 307 5 star recipes, so I figured that I couldn't go wrong with this one - and boy was I right. The eggnog was the first thing to go at my party and I got rave reviews about it.

Amazingly Good Eggnog
Makes about 1/2 gallon

4 Cups Milk
5 Whole Cloves
1/2 tspn Vanilla Extract
1 tspn Ground Cinnamon
12 Egg Yolks
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
2 1/2 Cups Light Rum
4 Cups Light Cream
2 tspn Vanilla Extract
1/2 tspn Ground Nutmeg

1) Combine milk, cloves, 1/2 tspn vanilla, and cinnamon in a saucepan, and heat over lowest setting for 5 minutes. Slowly bring milk mixture to a boil

2) In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk together until fluffy. Whisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs. Pour mixture into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until thick. Do not allow mixture to boil. Strain to remove cloves and let cool for an hour.

3) Stir in rum, cream, 2 tspn vanilla, and nutmeg. Refrigerate overnight before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
Jen has tried numerous diets, attempting to loose the weight she gained after having her baby (okay, she IS technically a toddler) and has figured out that she just loves food way too much to diet. So I gave up and instead celebrate the thing I love the most - FOOD! Here you will find recipes that I have stubled upon and tried, recipes that have been created in my kitchen and other rants and raves about food in general.